The COVD travel hangover is slowly subsiding after what seemed too much time away from distant friends sharing good times. Izzy’s MexiLogFest has been rescheduled a few times in 2020 due to the uncertainty of travel restrictions going to Mexico as well as the restriction on returning back to your home country. Travel is slowly opening to the world and the Mexilogfest is coming out of hibernation on June 4th-10th 2021 at Punta De Burros, Nayarit, Mexico. Through all of mixed information with travel, we know one thing, surfboard fees are inevitable. Its the expense we hope to swerve by hopefully kissing ass to the “lucky” airline agent who would give a free board pass. But for the rest of us, forking out the funds for your magic stick is part of been a traveler, especially a traveling surfer.
We have compiled a list of airlines that fly into Puerto Vallarta International Airport, the nearest airport for this years Mexilogfest at Punta de Burros, and their respected surfboard fees. We hope this would help you so we can get back sharing waves while sipping some margaritas at this years Mexilogfest.
Main Airlines flying into Puerto Vallarta (PVR)
Delta- Surfboard Fee: Free if surfboard weighs less than 50 lbs
Specifications & Fees
- Surfboards weighing less than 50 lbs are included in the standard baggage allowance. If it weighs over 50 lbs, you will be charged the applicable excess weight fee based on cabin and travel region.
- Outside linear dimensions (length + width + height) must NOT exceed 115 linear inches (292 cm), else the item will not be accepted
- Items in excess of baggage allowance will be subject to additional or overweight baggage fees
- Surfboards are allowed up to two (2) boards per bag
- Delta Connection carrier surfboard acceptance and charges may vary. Surfboards over 72 inches in length are not allowed on Delta Connection carrier flights. Contact their Reservations department for more information.
American Airlines - Surfboard Fee: $30-$150
Specifications & Fees
- For any sports equipment, the maximum linear size (length + width + height) is 126 in / 320 cm, and the maximum weight is 70 lbs / 32 kgs, subject to the airplane size and available cargo space.
- Standard checked bag fees of your destination apply up to 50lbs/23kgs and 126in/320cm (length + width + height)
- $150 fee applies from 51lbs/23kgs to 70lbs/32kgs
- 1 bag or case can contain multiple boards and will count as 1 checked item. Keels, kedges, and/or fins must be removed or properly protected to prevent damage to other bags.
- For travel to, through or from Brazil, for tickets issued on or before May 20, 2019, the fee will be $42.50 for 1st board bag/case and $85 for 2+ board bags/cases.
United Airlines- Surfboard Fee: $100 to $200
Specifications & Fees
- Surfboards must not weigh more than 99.9 pounds (45.3 kilograms) and must be packed in appropriate board bags
- Bags weighing up to 70 lbs (32 kg) are charged up to $100 per bag or item depending on the destination
- Bags weighing more than 70 lbs (32 kg) but less than 100 lbs (45 kg) are charged up to $200 per bag, depending on the destination
- For customers traveling to and from California, United will waive oversized bag charges for surfboards. Travelers with a connection through California aren’t eligible.
- Fin must be removed or well-padded. The entire board must be encased in a suitable container to avoid scratching. We’re not liable for damages.
- Boards and board bags combined weighing more than 99.9 pounds (45.3 kg) will not be accepted as checked baggage.
- On United flights, surfboards measuring more than 115 linear inches (292 centimeters) won't be accepted while on United Express flights surfboards measuring more than 80 linear inches (203 centimeters) won't be accepted. These items are also subject to the aircraft's load capacities. When there’s an embargo on excess bags, we won’t accept surfboards, wakeboards and paddleboards, with the exception of surfboards on flights to Costa Rica.
- You still need to pay service charge at the airport for your sports equipment.
- *01/20 - Our Wave Tribe bro David comments: "United Airlines has an embargo from June 1 through August holidays or just peak time or anytime they want. No surfboards." We suggest to make sure to double check with the airline.
Other Airlines that fly into PVR from other countries. Click on the airlines to see surfboard fees
- Interjet (not available)
- Aero Mexico
- West Jet
- Air Canada
- Viva Aerobus
- Sun Country